Widely found at almost every New York’s old-school pizzerias, Calzones are one of the most popular menu items in New York. It is a half-moon pocket of pizza or bread dough, filled with a brilliant combination of mozzarella, ricotta and parmesan cheese. Besides, it contains a rich assortment of exotic vegetables and meats inside its scrumptious crust, fried or baked to perfection.
Calzones hail from a deep-fried Neapolitan baking practice. Originated in Naples, Italy, in the 18th century, they have always been a popular food item. In New York, you can find a huge variety of amazingly prepared calzones. From olives, garlic, mushrooms, prosciuttos, capers, anchovies and artichoke hearts, they are stuffed with a variety of appetizing ingredients.
A restrained Neapolitan style or an unabashedly cheesy Italian-American range, the delicious and most popular New York calzone varieties include:
- Cheesy Lasagna Calzone – This is among one of the best New York calzone varieties, stuffed with a gooey blend of ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, basil, sausage, ground beef and tomato sauce.
- Philly Cheesesteak Calzone– This contains finely chopped cooked steak, sautéed vegetables, braised peppers and a generous amount of mozzarella or Swiss cheese.
- BBQ Chicken Calzone– Rotisserie chicken, red onions, mozzarella cheese, BBQ sauce and grated pecorino and chilies make this an amazing dish.
- Hawaiian Calzone– Made from cubed cooked ham, red onion, pizza sauce, loads of pineapple, Italian seasoning, and shredded mozzarella cheese, it makes for a delightful meal.
- Spinach Artichoke Calzone– With tangy parmesan, creamy ricotta cheese, along with the complementary flavors of spinach and artichoke, this is a perfect meal for vegetarians.
- Meatball Calzone– This New York calzone contains deliciously cooked meatballs, marinara or pizza sauce. Showered with loads of parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning, it baked to perfection.
- Buffalo Chicken Calzone– The combination of cooked and cubed chicken, blue cheese and buffalo sauce is simple heavenly.
- Pizza Calzone– A rather simple combination, pizza calzone contains pepperoni, mozzarella and pizza sauce.
- Traditional Spinach-Ricotta Calzone– This vegetarian calzone is made from sautéed onion, garlic, ricotta, mozzarella, baby spinach and tomato sauce.
- Wilted Greens Calzone– This New York calzone’s delectable variety contains a whole mess of greens (beet greens, chard, kale), wilted with pepper flakes and garlic. Topped with jack cheese, ricotta and mozzarella, it is a treat for vegetarians.
- Thanksgiving Calzone– The rich thanksgiving calzone is replete with a tasty combination of turkey, cranberry sauce and a little gravy.
You can find many more amazing New York calzone varieties, ranging from the classic to more evolved, with an infinite range of toppings. These small pockets filled with flavor are sure to make anyone drool. So, next time when you plan an elegant dinner party or host a game night with friends, make sure to serve these absolute delicacies. You can order from Russo’s New York Pizzeria. It is a great restaurant, serving a range of delicious, authentic and handmade calzones.